York, Maine Workshops
- 9/12/19 - September 4-Day Wooden Surfboard Building Workshop At Grain Surfboards in Maine, York, ME
- 9/19/19 - September 2-Day Finless Wooden Surfboard Building Workshop with Jon Wegener at Grain Surfboards in Maine, York, ME
- 9/20/19 - Grain Surfboards presents Surf Re-Evolution, York, ME
- 10/17/19 - October 4-Day Wooden Surfboard Building Workshop At Grain Surfboards in Maine, York, ME
- 11/14/19 - November 4-Day Wooden Surfboard Building Workshop At Grain Surfboards in Maine, York, ME
Amagansett, NY Workshops
- 8/19/19 - Youth Surfboard building week, Amagansett, NY
- 8/22/19 - 3 or 4 day Wooden Surfboard Building Workshop, Amagansett, NY
- 9/26/19 - 3 or 4 day Wooden Surfboard Building Workshop, Amagansett, NY
- 10/11/19 - 3 or 4 day Wooden Surfboard Building Workshop, Amagansett, NY
- 11/14/19 - 3 or 4 day Wooden Surfboard Building Workshop, Amagansett, NY
- 12/5/19 - 3 or 4 day Wooden Surfboard Building Workshop, Amagansett, NY
Boards you can build
The list at right are the only boards that can be built as Home Grown Surfboard Kits, in Grain Workshops, or with Paper Plans. Our more difficult-to-build shapes are available as Custom Boards or in Fantasy Camp Classes.
On each board page you can choose to purchase plans, a kit, or to build in a workshop.
Four day workshops
Four days in, beautiful board out! You’ll get right down to it in this four-day class, beginning on Day 1 with creating the outline by laying down the chine and the first few railstrips. Spend the remaining three days building up the rails, installing blocking for hardware, putting on your top planks, and then shaping and sanding your board.
It's fast, but it's fun and in only four days, you've got the board of your choice ready for glass.
Handplanes & Paipo Classes
Can't sneak away for four days? You can still build your own surf-craft in a one-day or two-day paipo class or a half-day hand-plane workshop. These workshops are often offered in the summer and fall months and are a great opportunity to learn basic woodworking, proper use of hand tools and get some hands-on shaping time. Build your own craft, hang with friends, try out our quiver of boards and trade high fives. Lot's of fun with less time away.
Nothing can replace the complete Grain experience of board-building classes at our workshop on the beautiful Maine coast, but our Mobile Classroom comes pretty close! We recognize that not everyone has the time or resources to travel here, so we give classes all around the country with our full-on mobile classroom.
When the mobile classroom pulls up, it’s time to build your board. You'll find the traveling classes listed right here on this page as well as in the calendar. We often throw impromptu hand-plane or paipo workshops into the traveling schedule as well... look for those here.
Surfboard Builders Fantasy Camp
Surfers can be loners – their ideal is a deserted break with no one out. That’s why we decided to offer a one-on-one class in board building and/or glassing. For a week or two, it’s just you at your own shaping stand with your own board builder guiding you through the process of building a board you’ll have forever. This is the only class where we will help you build any board in our line of kits and custom boards.
Fantasy Camp is also perfect if you can’t make dates in our schedule, can’t get into a full class, or want to share a really unique experience with just one other friend. So if you need some alone time, or dig the idea of being just another builder in our shop for the week, think about the Builder’s Fantasy Camp. Any board, any time, your own builder. Pretty sweet. Interested in coming out? Give us a ring at 207-457-5313 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prices and Timeframes- First Builder:
7-Day Fantasy Camps- $3000- Choose from any model we offer.
4-Day Fantasy Camps- $2500- Choose from any model we offer in our regular 4-day workshops
Bring a Friend- Additional Builder:
7-Day Fantasy Camp with them building their own board- $2000
4-Day Fantasy Camp with them building their own board- $1675
7-Day where they help you with your board- $800
4-Day where they help you with your board- $500
Skateboard Building Workshop
For those living in the New York area looking for things to do which also teach you a little something about what you're really capable of, we've got four-hour classes twice every day all summer, and on weekends the rest of the year. Build your own skateboard and customize it to your liking under the watchful eyes of the crew down at the shop in Amagansett. Super-fun.
- 8/24/19 - Skateboard-Building Workshop (weekend), Amagansett, NY
- 8/25/19 - Skateboard-Building Workshop (weekend), Amagansett, NY
- 8/31/19 - Skateboard-Building Workshop (weekend), Amagansett, NY
- 9/1/19 - Skateboard-Building Workshop (weekend), Amagansett, NY
- 9/7/19 - Skateboard-Building Workshop (weekend), Amagansett, NY
- 9/8/19 - Skateboard-Building Workshop (weekend), Amagansett, NY
This page lists our scheduled workshops, but if there isn't one that you can make it to, do not despair... we often set up special workshops to meet your schedule. If you have a group, we'll add a class just for you if the timing works out. Or if it's just you, there's always our Fantasy Camp one-on-one sessions. Even if you're in another city, we occasionally can work in a special class if there's a workable venue. So check out the dates and the class offerings here, but let us know how we can help you.
There's more info about all these offerings - just click the session you're interested in and follow the links to get more info or reserve your spot.
For something really special, check out Grain Surfboards - New York... Our buds Patrick & Brian have set up a permanent Grain workshop on the East End of Long Island and they'll be running workshops there almost every week all summer. Great surf, great guys, same great cedar scented, satisfaction as you build your own under their watchful eye. Check out the Grain--NY schedule here.